The Exhibition Research Volunteer(s) will find and cite information pertaining to the history of four historic churches in North Canton for an upcoming exhibition: St. Paul Catholic Parish, Zion UCC (formerly Zion Reformed), Zion Lutheran Church (formerly Zion Evangelical Lutheran), and Community Christian Church (formerly Union Church).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Use print and online resources to gather information about the history of religion in New Berlin/North Canton, particularly the histories of the 4 specified churches
- Consult primary and secondary sources, including newspaper clippings, photographs, maps, oral histories, etc.
- Compile bibliographies of research
- Consult church leaders and congregations for information
- Collecting oral histories from long-time congregants and/or church leaders
Timeframe: December 2018 – March 2019
Schedule: 5-10 hours per week
- The majority of your hours will be virtual or spent away from the North Canton Heritage Society with periodic check-ins with the Executive Director.
- Familiarity with online databases and digital resources
- Familiarity with local history collections and newspaper research
- Ability to compile an accurately-cited bibliography
- Interest in local history
- Experience conducting oral history interviews
- Comfortable interacting with people
- Name listed as exhibition contributor
- Invite to members-only exhibition preview
- 10% off in gift shop
- Contributing to the success of a small local organization
Contact: Amanda Sedlak-Hevener, Executive Director