Visit Us

185 Ream St. NW
North Canton, OH 44720

Hours

Open By Appointment Only

Interurban Railroad – Name Change


Panel Narration   

Street Names

Maple St.—Originally known as Massillon Road.

History Here

Schafer and Messerly Drug Store—The Schafer & Messerly Drug Store was a very popular hangout for youngsters. The store featured a soda fountain luncheonette. It was founded in 1914 by Charlie Schafer and his brother-in-law Max Messerly and was in business until 1971. Charlie Schafer was mayor of New Berlin from 1916 to 1918.

Inside Schafer & Messerly
 
Schafer & Messerly
Schafer & Messerly in the 1950’s
Civil War veterans downtown parade in 1905
Hoover Company Sales Convention parade in the 1920’s

Historical Figures

Rita J. “Granny” Wernet – She was born Rita J. Moock in Canton in 1916 and married H. J. “Pete” Wernet. “Granny” owned and operated the Pattern Bar in North Canton where she made custom clothing. She is best remembered though for owning and operating Granny’s Restaurant on 123 S Main St in North Canton from 1947 to 1987. Granny’s served basic home cooking along with selling candy and ice cream. She was beloved by all those who got to know her and passed away in 2009 at the age of 93.

Heritage Trail Sponsors:
Herbert W. Hoover Foundation
North Canton Public Library
Gary & Rita Wechter Family