Visit Us

185 Ream St. NW
North Canton, OH 44720

Hours

Open By Appointment Only

Library History – Harley & Mary Hoover Price


Panel Narration

Markers, Monuments, & Sculptures

“Returning the Books” Sculpture: This sculpture was designed and created by local businessman, artist and sculptor Don Lundstrom and was dedicated to the North Canton Library in 1998. Don was born in 1933 and graduated from Canton McKinley High School. He went on to attend Ohio University, earning a degree in Mechanical Engineering and Business Administration. He married Shirley Ann Dickes in 1957 after proposing to her at the North Canton Baseball Stadium. Don ran the Frankham Foundry for many years, whose product lines included decorative pewter-like ware. He received numerous commissions over the years including “Returning the Books” which sits in front of the North  Canton Library, as well as “A Walk with the “Boss” sculpture and the soldier sculpture, both located in Bitzer Park.     

History Here

Hummels IGA Foodliner— This store was once located at 315 N. Main St. in a building which is now operated by The North Canton School System and used for after school programming. The grocery store began in 1922 by A.A. Hummel on the southwest corner of the square in the Wise Building. Then in 1927, they moved across the square and to the south (as shown in the far left side of the Library picture on this panel). A.A. Hummel and his four sons, Wayne, Maynard, Myron, and Darrell, continued to grow their grocery business over the years and in 1962, they moved to a new location on the corner of Charlotte St. and N. Main St. They operated this local iconic establishment until closing their doors in 1988 after 66 years in business.

Inside the Hummel’s Food Store (c. 1928)
 

Charlotte and N Main St. Store
 

Schiltz Shoeshop—The shoe shop was part of New Berlin very early in its history. John Schiltz began making and repairing shoes in the community around 1837. His son Nicholas operated this shop (shown in the photo to the right), with his son Austin, who was the third generation in the business. The family business, which started in a log shop next to the family log cabin, was also located just north of the present Library on N. Main St., on Portage St. NW for a time and later on S. Main St. into the 1970s.

(left-right: Nicholas, Schiltz, “Skinny” Scharver, and Austin Schiltz)

Heritage Trail Sponsors:
Herbert W. Hoover Foundation
North Canton Public Library
Gary & Rita Wechter Family