Markers, Monuments, & Sculptures
Alice Price Fountain: Alice Price was the daughter of Mary (Hoover) and Harley Price. This memorial fountain was dedicated to Alice, who passed away at the age of 11 from complications associated with scarlet fever. The original fountain was located near the current fountain.
Dave Johnson Tree: Mr. Johnson has served his local community and state governments as a city councilman, Mayor, State Representative, and State Senator. He has also devoted his many talents as public utility commissioner, as well as an energy, environmental and political consultant. For many years, the Johnson family made their home in an 1821 log cabin house on Marquardt Ave NW.
The Police Booth: This booth originally stood on the southeast corner of N. Main St. and E. Maple St. and was in operation from about 1955 to 1998. Officers of the North Canton Police force used the booth to control the traffic lights during the Hoover Company shift changes and as a place to shelter school crossing guards for children on their way to and from Portage Street School. Inside the booth is a memorial to Russel A. “Smitty” Smith, the “Cop.” He joined the North Canton Police Department in 1930 when they only had one chief and two deputies and served as Chief of Police from 1941 to 1962.
Main Street—originally know as Market St., also known as Cleveland Ave.
Park Theater—was a favorite entertainment spot from 1939 to 1970. It was located where the present City Hall stands.
North Canton Cleaners—Paul Sumser started the North Canton Cleaners in his garage in 1928. The company moved from Paul’s garage to the Bitzer Hotel (Bitzer Park location), then to W. Maple (parking lot of Huntington Bank), then to N. Main Street (City Hall location), before moving to its current location on S. Main Street in 1969. His son, Bob Sumser, purchased the business in 1982 and his daughter, Mary Kay Baad, became the third generation to own the business in 2015. Since 1928, the North Canton Cleaners has been building on traditions such as working hard, providing excellent customer service, taking pride in their work and knowing their customers as well as they know them. It is shown in the above picture to the right of the Park Theater when it was located on N. Main St.
Bill’s Diner—was a popular hangout for high school students.
Richard Nixon Speech—Richard Nixon visited North Canton during his Presidential Campaign of 1960. A major event in the village, over 4,000 people lined the streets downtown to see the candidate. Because of the large number of persons gathered, Mr. Nixon stopped the motorcade at the intersection of N. Main St. and Portage St. and spoke to the crowds gathered along the street and on the rooftops.
Raymond, B. Evans—“Peg” Evans was a son of John Evans, who is highlighted on the “Union and Community Christian Church” panel. He played professional baseball from 1908 to 1917 and was a key member of the 1919 Hoover Sweepers baseball team who won the National Baseball Federation’s Semi-Pro World Championship. Peg began a 50-year career at The Hoover Company in 1898, which included being District Manager of Sales for 11 counties and was even elected mayor of North Canton. .
Charles B. Strausser-Charles B. Strausser first served on City Council from 1916 to September 1919, when he resigned before the end of his final term. During this time, the country was embroiled in World War I and Mr. Strausser was part of the Council that chose to rename the Village from New Berlin to North Canton in 1918. Strausser would return to City Council in 1952 for the true start of his career in local politics where he served until 1963 as president of Council. During this time, Mr. Strausser was also part of the Council responsible for transitioning the Village into a City in 1961. In the 1962-1963 term, the first term with the ward system in the City, Mr. Strausser ran At-Large. In 1964, Strausser was elected Mayor of the City of North Canton and served until 1971. In 1972, Strausser returned to City Council in an At-Large seat and was again president of Council until 1974 when, following the resignation of Mayor David W. Johnson, he was elevated to that office. Strausser served as Mayor until 1977. In total, Charles B. Strausser spent 30 years in local municipal office during his lifetime making him tied for the longest-serving elected official in North Canton history with Daryl L. Revolt, who is still serving but has announced his retirement at the end of the 2021 term. In recognition of his lifetime of service and dedication, Charlie B. Strausser Memorial Park, located in the City’s Southeast quarter, was named in his honor.
Heritage Trail Sponsors:
Herbert W. Hoover Foundation
North Canton Public Library
Gary & Rita Wechter Family
The Cerreta Family